Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My beloved Mumbai-how much do I grieve today?

It is only now that I have realized how much I love this city.When I am sitting changing TV channels with nerveless hands, watching images of blood, gore and sorrow and witnessing Mumbai bleed.

Yesterday night, I did hear the sound of the blast in Vile Parle near the Express Highway,but dismissed it in my mind as the sound of a firecracker.It was only after I watched the news at around 11 that I recognized it for what it was.

Then followed the first selfish thought that all my dear ones are safe, followed by the agonizing realization that this thought would be alien to those who had not been so lucky.

And my beloved city?Shorn of peace,safety and the self-assured glamour personified by the Taj and the Oberoi?How many, many times will we take the 'Spirit of Mumbai' for granted ?

5 comments:

Kartik Srinivasan said...

Its something that invokes a great sense of shame and anger. Perhaps it is time that those who matter show their mettle and take steps to prevent the spirit of our nation and not just Mumbai to be taken for granted again.

Athena said...

Thanks for the sentiments Historiophile.I am reminded of the only-too-true words'History repeats itself,first as a tragedy and second as a farce.'The farce aspect is well visible in the causes of these events and hilarious words of government dignitaries after the tragedy.

Kartik Srinivasan said...

Yeah, when Maharashtra CM trotted in the devastated Taj along-with a filmmaker, a new term got coined - "disaster tourism"

citiding said...

Again and again
From East to West
and West to East
From North to south
and south to North...
When is it going to end?

Athena said...

I completely fathom the anger and despair in that comment,Cityding.

And I can only say that it will end when the twain shall meet-East,West,North,South-to snuff out this monster.